Friday, August 12, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 42 -- The Last of the Mohicans

by James Fenimore Cooper

Started: July 27
Finished: August 12

Notes: Somehow this classic of literature has eluded my reading over the years. Not even in school did I have an opportunity for a go at it. So, I thought it high time I dipped into it.

Mini review: A great story with great characters, though the writing style was no favorite of mine, often using 10 words when one would have sufficed. Beyond being a literary treasure, there is much to be found here for the history buff. Despite my disliking of Cooper's style, I might have to seek out his other works, at least the ones featuring the Hawkeye character.

1 comment:

Adventuresfantastic said...

I read all but The Prairie about 20 years ago. I intended to read it, other things distracted me. I really liked all of them, although The Pioneers was a little rough. He wrote that one first, and it shows in the writing style in places.