Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Books read in 2017: No. 4 -- The Awakened II

edited by Hal Greenberg

Started: January 21
Finished: Feb. 15

Notes: My short story "Marazook" appears in this anthology, based upon the upcoming The Awakened RPG from Samurai Sheepdog. I've read some of these tales, but not all of them, so I figured I'd check out what my fellow writers accomplished.

Mini review: It was nice to see what others have done with this fantasy world in which some people gain magical powers when they turn 19 years of age, a world where kings vie for the powers of these Awakened, even to the point of kidnapping them, in groups or individually. My favorite story was probably the last one, "Ice" by Jaleigh Johnson, because it had a soft, personal touch absent from most of the rest of the tales, but I also truly enjoyed "Many Tentacles, Reaching" by Ed Greenwood and a handful of others. As of now, there is to be an "Awakened Modern" book and "The Awakened III," and I'm looking forward to taking part in them and reading them.

No comments: